Re: Selectors API naming

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:50:44 +0100
To: "Dave Massy" <Dave.Massy@microsoft.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
Cc: "Chris Wilson" <chris.wilson@microsoft.com>, "Tina Duff" <tinad@microsoft.com>

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:35:17 +0100, Dave Massy <Dave.Massy@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> It'd be great to have more detail and scenario on NSResolver. It appears
> to allow elements within the document to have different prefixes than
> things in the style sheet.

This is not about style sheets. (CSS does indeed allow that though.)

> For example if we map html as the prefix for XHTML in our document then
> we’d write it like:
> But then we can write a selector such as:
> 	“h|table > h|tr > h|td”
> With a NSResolver that maps h to the same namespace as the html in the
> primary document. This seems potentially confusing.

This is similar to how CSS and DOM Level 3 XPath deal with it. It allows
scripts to be written independently from the markup. Seems useful to me.

> As I mentioned previously a more complete example of staticNodeList
> usage would also be appreciated.

It's not clear to me what you mean with that. It's exactly like the thing
getElementsByTagName returns except it's not live. This should be pretty
clear from the draft.

> 2. Naming
> getElementBySelector/getElementsBySelector is the only proposal we think
> is acceptable.

But it's not accurate. This also creates the problem Ian Hickson pointed
out a few times. That people will map it to $$ or something which makes it
even less useful.

> [...]
> I'm concerned the group appears to believe naming is not important based
> on the belief that there is no such thing as the perfect name.

Well, XMLHttpRequest is among the reasons for such "belief":-)

I don't really think the arguments about looking up the API in
documentation apply here. If this ever implemented interoperably it's
probably one of few things web developers will just remember because they
use it so often. Making a long name only increases the time in debugging
all the misspellings et cetera.