Re: status of non-prefixed values in @rel

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:59:53 +0100
To: "Shane McCarron" <shane@aptest.com>, "Ben Adida" <ben@adida.net>
Cc: "Manu Sporny" <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:16:17 +0100, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
wrote:

> This is really important to the XHTML community.  rel=":next" is not
> acceptable to me, and I cannot imagine it would be to the rest of the
> troops or to the great unwashed out there.  I am pretty sure that Steven
> agrees with me on this - Steven?

I agree with Shane. The idea behind RDFa in my mind is to extend the use
of existing HTML constructs in a consistent and simple way to make
semantics attractive for the street HTML author. This means to me that
existing stuff works and fits in to the structure.

My worry is that we are piling hack on to hack to fix the next problem we
meet, and abandoning the original simplicity.

My first definition of the semantics of RDFa was in 2 paragraphs! (Partly
thanks to the declarative definition rather than the current procedural
one). I mourn the loss of that simplicity.

Anyway, I think rel="next" should work.

Steven