Re: PROV-ISSUE-47 (third-party-provenance): How to obtain provenance from a third party known by the user [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:40:20 +0100
To: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
I believe this is addressed by section 3.4
which addresses precisely the use-case described by this issue.

Specifically, if I have the URI of a third party provenance service, and a URI
or identifying information about the target resource, a SPARQL query can be
constructed to locate the required provenance URI and/or data from that third
party.  I think availability of such information is pretty much a prerequisite
for creating any kind of third party provenance service - I can't see how it
might work without that.

I think this may have more to do with discussion around ISSUE 46
(http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/46) - the extent to which the
provenance information itself identifies the entity whose provenance it describes.