W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > April to June 2007

[I18N ITS] Teleconference Minutes 2007-06-20

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:18:47 +0900
Message-ID: <46794557.3030201@w3.org>
To: public-i18n-its@w3.org

... are at http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html and below 
as text.

Felix


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                              i18n ITS WG

20 Jun 2007

   [2]Agenda

      [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0054.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Jirka, Felix, Christian, Yves

   Regrets
   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]BP restructuring
         3. [7]Reviewing W3C Work or other work for ITS
         4. [8]BP discussion
         5. [9]next meetings AIs
         6. [10]republication of BP draft
         7. [11]requirement document
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to contact JIS people in Japan about
   possiblity of "ITS as JIS" (DONE) [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   Felix: ITS as JIS is a totally different process than ITS as ISO,
   and not sure if it worthwhile
   ... propose to close ITS "ISO / JIS etc." for now

   Yves: agree
   ... worry about that later

   <scribe> ACTION: yves to check the whole doc for consistency for
   "attribute" vs "attribute value" (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to rewrite the description of example 11
   (DONE) [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]

   <YvesS>
   [16]http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.ht
   ml

     [16] http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html

   Jirka mentions a type, Yves will fix that

   Yves: example shows not how to override s.t., but how to implement
   overriding facilities of DITA

   Jira, Felix : looks fine to me

   <scribe> ACTION: Christian to make a proposal for "4.1.4 Create your
   XPath Expressions with Care (DONE) [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   <YvesS>
   [18]http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.ht
   ml#GenXPath

     [18] 
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#GenXPath

   Yves: removed the example with XPath simplification

   <Jirka> there is typo "the follwing general dimensions" -> "the
   following general dimensions"

BP restructuring

   Felix: do we want to do it? When would we do it?

   Yves: let's discuss this next week
   ... have an AI for everybody for that

   <scribe> ACTION: everybody to look at BP restructuring, including
   existing threads on the topic, until next meeting [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action05]

   <YvesS> [20]http://www.w3.org/TR/#last-call

     [20] http://www.w3.org/TR/#last-call

Reviewing W3C Work or other work for ITS

   Yves: nothing new from W3C LC drafts

   no news on SRX reviews

   Christian: XLIFF 1.2 is now a committee specification
   ... next step will probably an OASIS standard

   Yves: this could need improvement e..g about bidirectionality

   Christian: past reviews: got reply about EMMA comment
   ... replier sees an area were ITS fits in, and he will send a reply
   ... btw, did we hear back from OSCAR people?

   Yves: just acknowledgement of the comment
   ... on XForms: we got feedback that ITS would be useful, but they
   don't have the resource to write the rules
   ... I have started to work on XForms ITS rules

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to continue work on XForms ITS rules [recorded
   in [21]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]

BP discussion

   Yves: everybody fine with 3 and 4?

   [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   056.html

     [22] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0056.html

   Christian: fine with the proposal from Yves on 3 in 56 mail

   Yves: think we will see that in many BPs, so it should be in more
   generic techniques

   <YvesS>
   [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   057.html

     [23] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0057.html

   Yves: for 3 and 4, we have agreement on the current text
   ... now BP 5

   comment from Christian at
   [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   057.html

     [24] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0057.html

   <YvesS>
   [25]http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.ht
   ml#DevTransOver

     [25] 
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#DevTransOver

   Yves: common issue for many topics: defaults for a schema, and
   overriding of ITS rules

   Christian: could use that for a general section possibly

   Felix makes some rewriting proposals

   Jirka: current description of BP is fine with me

   Yves: BP 5 says not that you should not use its:translate if you
   have a translate attribute in your schema already

   Felix: it is indirectly said in:

   "If you are working with DTD or a schema where there is a way to
   override translatability information that is not its:translate, you
   should provide an ITS rules document where you use the
   its:translateRule element to associate this mechanism to the ITS
   Translate data category."

   Yves: proposal:

   "If you are working with DTD or a schema where there is a way to
   override translatability information that is not its:translate, you
   should use it. You should provide an ITS rules document where you
   use the its:translateRule element to associate this mechanism to the
   ITS Translate data category."

   Christian's proposal "If you are working with DTD or a schema where
   there is a way to override translatability information that is not
   its:translate, you should use it. In addition, you should provide an
   ITS rules document where you use the its:translateRule element to
   associate this mechanism to the ITS Translate data category."

   Yves, Felix: looks good

   Yves: "In some cases, the author of a document may need to change
   the translatability property on parts of the content, overriding
   defaults or more general rules." "Why to do this" part is very
   short, but we leave it like that now
   ... references are short as well
   ... close BP 5 for now
   ... now BP 6

   input from Christian
   [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0
   058.html

     [26] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0058.html

   Yves: "document your code" should be an aspect of a general
   technique
   ... should we put a new BP about that or have that on the generic
   techniques?

   Christian: as a new BP?

   Felix: sounds like a technique to me

   Yves: we have s.t. like that already about creating ITS rules

   <YvesS>
   [27]http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.ht
   ml#DevITSRules

     [27] 
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#DevITSRules

   Felix: rules are just one kind of documentation, there is also e.g.
   human readable documentation

   Christian: schema designers first need to describe "what is (not)
   translatable"? When they need to apply special mechanisms, i.e. ITS
   rules

   Yves: so we need to reword BP 14 to include Christian's input

   <scribe> ACTION: everyone to propose rewriting of BP 14 as discussed
   in 20 June 2007 meeting [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action07]

   Yves: back to BP 6 - any other aspect to hink about?
   ... I need to rewrite the definition of the rule in example 13

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to rewrite the definition of the rule in
   example 13 [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action08]

next meetings AIs

   Yves: will be 7 and 8

republication of BP draft

   Yves: everybody fine with publication?

   RESOLUTION: WG agrees with publication of new BP WG

   Yves: will post the question to ML, wait for answers until Friday

   Felix: proposed publication date would be 28 June (next week
   Thursday)

requirement document

   Yves: any deadline

   Felix: no deadline. I'd propose to wait with publication until the
   xml i18n BP WG Note publication

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: everybody to look at BP restructuring, including
   existing threads on the topic, until next meeting [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: everyone to propose rewriting of BP 14 as discussed in
   20 June 2007 meeting [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to continue work on XForms ITS rules [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to rewrite the definition of the rule in example
   13 [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action08]

   [PENDING] ACTION: yves to check the whole doc for consistency for
   "attribute" vs "attribute value" [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

   [DONE] ACTION: Christian to make a proposal for "4.1.4 Create your
   XPath Expressions with Care [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to contact JIS people in Japan about possiblity
   of "ITS as JIS" [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]
   [DONE] ACTION: Yves to rewrite the description of example 11
   [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [38]scribe.perl version 1.128
    ([39]CVS log)
    $Date: 2007/06/20 15:03:16 $

     [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [39] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 20 June 2007 15:20:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:49 GMT