W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2006

Minutes i18n core telefone conference 2006-02-07

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:16:43 +0900
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.s4mq55oax1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec.mag.keio.ac.jp>

Hi all,

The minutes of yesterday's call are at

http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html

and below as text.


Regards, Felix.

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         i18n core working group
                               7 Feb 2006

    [2]Agenda

       [2]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Feb/0004.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Mary, Felix, Francois

    Regrets
           Richard

    Chair
           Francois

    Scribe
           Felix

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]action items
          2. [6]technical plenary agenda
          3. [7]comments on CSS selectors
          4. [8]comments on cdr 1.0
          5. [9]ltru: dependency between matching draft and the other
             parts of RFC 3066bis, see thread at
             http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04361
             .html
          6. [10]MWI review
          7. [11]review of
             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-i18n-compa
             rator-06.txt
          8. [12]review of
             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-idn-nextsteps
             -02.txt
          9. [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/20
             06JanMar/0171.html
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

action items

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to ask Addison and Mark about language tags
    in css (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to give back our feedback to CSS and CDF WG
    (DONE) [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to ask addison for preparations for meetings
    with ws folks at tech plenary (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to contact Moataz about HP replacement and TP
    (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

    <scribe> ACTION: francois / all to go through charmod norm comments
    of QT people etc. (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

technical plenary agenda

    felix: meeting with css:
    [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/2006JanMar/0059.
    html
    ... proposal from Bert: Fri, 14:00-15:30, at CSS WG

      [20]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/2006JanMar/0059.html

    Francois: Special meeting on 2D navigation. Thu, 11:00-12:00, at WAI
    PF

    felix: meeting with Philippe Le Hegare during luncht?

    Francois: Thursday or Friday
    ... meeting with web services folks, would it be useful?

    Mary: Addison asked some people, but I don't know who?

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to ask w3c ws "team" members about who to
    approach about ws i18n [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

    francois: topics for the f2f:
    ... charmod norm

    felix: language and locale identifiers (just a short time)

    mary: I would like to go through the whole ws-i18n document
    ... if you just look at the document before the meeting and say
    "here is s.t. which is missing" etc.
    ... the usage scenarios, for example, had a lot of stuff, which is
    not in the current draft

    <scribe> ACTION: all except Mary to read ws-i18n before the tech
    plenary to be able to give comments [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

    francois: we should discuss IRI test suite

    <scribe> ACTION: Francois to ping Martin whether we could put IRI
    test suite on the agenda [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

comments on CSS selectors

    <scribe> closed comments: 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,
    17, 18, 19, 22

    comment 6

    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0168.html

      [24]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0168.html

    francois: This clarifies a lot
    ... but there is still an conformance issue
    ... we are happy about comment 6

    comment 20

    francois: it seems not many people are calling for this
    ... at the minimum, it needs to be default clusters

    comment 21

    [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0139.html

      [25]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0139.html

    francois: maybe they accept it

    comment 23

    [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0108.html

      [26]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0108.html

    francois: we will be satisfied with no 3, so we don't have to keep
    this comment. The selector syntax seems to be self supportive

comments on cdr 1.0

    comment 2:
    [27]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0170.html

      [27]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0170.html

    francois: they should clarify the scenario
    ... e.g. the image internal versus the image external
    ... that should not happen, and their spec should say that
    ... they say:

    [[But if you mean a document with an xml:lang CDR-referencing

    another document without an xml:lang or other authoritative
    indication

    of language, then I think you're left with heuristics as Bjoern

    pointed out.]]

    francois: You should rely on the main document
    ... you have several sources of information, and they have
    priorities

    felix: let's go back to them in that sense

ltru: dependency between matching draft and the other parts of RFC
3066bis, see thread at
[28]http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04361.html

      [28] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04361.html

    francois: We have to wait for the publication of the other RFCs
    until we give advice to other working groups

    felix: I wrote a mail to Addison and Mark about this, and the CSS
    relation
    ... we have to wait until the issue is resolved or all 3 RFC drafts
    are "RFCs"

MWI review

    [29]http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mobile-bp-20060113/

      [29] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mobile-bp-20060113/

    felix: I will take a look at this until next meeting

review of
[30]http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-i18n-comparator-06
.txt

      [30]  
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-i18n-comparator-06.txt

    francois: we had long discussions about this in the context of
    XQuery
    ... there was no satisfactory resolution
    ... in XQuery, they just use URIs to specify collations
    ... this draft wants to create a collation registry
    ... we should have a look at this

    felix: put it into review table

review of
[31]http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-idn-nextsteps-02.txt

      [31]  
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-idn-nextsteps-02.txt

    francois: if we would have enough bandwith
    ... we would review it, but without the bandwith, we should not put
    it on the radar

[32]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/017
1.html

      [32]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0171.html

    francois: You have to know the language to do this
    ... transliterating to latin letters depends on the language
    ... there is no universal transliteration scheme
    ... we will just review their draft as they come forward with it

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: all except Mary to read ws-i18n before the tech
    plenary to be able to give comments [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: Felix to ask w3c ws "team" members about who to
    approach about ws i18n [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: Francois to ping Martin whether we could put IRI test
    suite on the agenda [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to ask Addison and Mark about language tags
    in css [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
    [PENDING] ACTION: felix to ask addison for preparations for meetings
    with ws folks at tech plenary [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to contact Moataz about HP replacement and
    TP [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]
    [PENDING] ACTION: francois / all to go through charmod norm comments
    of QT people etc. [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

    [DONE] ACTION: Felix to give back our feedback to CSS and CDF WG
    [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/07-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [41]scribe.perl version 1.127
     ([42]CVS log)
     $Date: 2006/02/08 01:14:11 $

      [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [42] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 8 February 2006 01:16:51 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT