Re: maincontent element

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:40:30 +0100, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

>> That's true. On the other shouldn't be everything inside <body> except
>> "maincontent"?
>
> That's the real question, indeed.
>
> Or asked the other way around: is it possible to mark up a page such
> that everything that is not main content can be contained in an
> existing "semantic" tag or do we still have the need to create our
> pages/applications with many <div> elements? If the latter is true,
> then it can make sense to pick one <div> as the one to start reading
> at.
>
> Silvia.

I had a go, just this morning, at marking up a gmail page with new
elements to see if I could.
(http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2012/scooby-doo-content-element/#comment-1016360)

It might be a good idea to collect examples of "app-like" web pages to see
if it's possible. My colleague Mike Taylor wrote a small script to add a
to check whether that does correspond with the "Main content" of a page
http://pastie.org/4663081.

I wonder whether the (so-far unsupported anywhere) <menu> element
shouldn't be added to the list of tags to "skip" before main content is
reached.

--
bruce