W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > March 2011

RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-03: Issues, Decisions, Task Force Reports, and Other Business

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:24:21 +0000
To: "public-html-wg-announce@w3.org" <public-html-wg-announce@w3.org>
CC: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
Message-ID: <104E6B5B6535E849970CDFBB1C5216EB3D0E53C2@TK5EX14MBXC138.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2011/03/03-html-wg-minutes.html


- DRAFT -

HTML Weekly Teleconference

03 Mar 2011

 Agenda

Attendees

Present
  Michael_Cooper, adrianba, krisk, [Microsoft], paulc, Sam, mjs, MikeSmith, eliot, dsinger, Cynthia_Shelly, Oliver

Regrets

Chair
  Sam Ruby

Scribe
  Adrian Bateman

Contents

Topics
1.ACTION items due by Thursday, March 3
2.New Issues This Week
3.Items Closed Last Week
4.Items Closing This Week
5.Items Closing Next Week
6.New Calls this week
7.New Surveys this week
8.Decisions this week
9.Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force
10.Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force
11.Other Business
12.Scribe for next meeting
13.Adjournment

Summary of Action Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTION items due by Thursday, March 3

rubys: there are none

New Issues This Week

rubys: again, there are none

Items Closed Last Week

ISSUE-157?

<trackbot> ISSUE-157 -- A comprehensive, semantic image map specification -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/157

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-157: A comprehensive, semantic image map specification - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-158?

<trackbot> ISSUE-158 -- HTML4's content-model for <object> should continue -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/158

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-158: HTML4s content-model for should continue - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-160?

<trackbot> ISSUE-160 -- Remove restriction on command element as part of a menu -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/160

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-160: Remove restriction on command element as part of a menu - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: all three were closed without prejudice due to lack of proposals

ISSUE-161?

<trackbot> ISSUE-161 -- Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/161

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-161: Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-144?

<trackbot> ISSUE-144 -- <u> should be conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/144

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-144: should be conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: we have a proposal for these and the calls for alternative proposals went out for both

ISSUE-124?

<trackbot> ISSUE-124 -- nofollow/noreferrer not allowed on <link> -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/124

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-124: nofollow/noreferrer not allowed on - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-130?

<trackbot> ISSUE-130 -- allow tables to be used for layout purposes -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/130

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-130: allow tables to be used for layout purposes - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: two straw polls closed last week on these issues

Items Closing This Week

rubys: five items closing today

ISSUE-9?

<trackbot> ISSUE-9 -- how accessibility works for <video> is unclear -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/9

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-9: how accessibility works for is unclear - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: call for consensus - some discussion the mailing list but no objections raised yet
 ... next, some where we have calls for counter proposals

ISSUE-120?

<trackbot> ISSUE-120 -- Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/120

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-120: Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: do have a counter proposal for this

ISSUE-139?

<trackbot> ISSUE-139 -- HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/139

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-139: HTML5 spec mentions Microdata in Acknowledgements - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: again, we have a proposal and a counter proposal

ISSUE-140?

<trackbot> ISSUE-140 -- clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/140

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-140: clarify the applicability of the term "conforming document" in cases where "applicable specifications" had been used to augment or change the base HTML5 specification - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: again, we have a proposal and a counter proposal

ISSUE-142?

<trackbot> ISSUE-142 -- No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/142

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-142: No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: again, we've got both
 ... the only one that may have any action this week is ISSUE-9 if there are no objections raised

Items Closing Next Week

ISSUE-135?

<trackbot> ISSUE-135 -- put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/135

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-135: put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: we have until the 10th to get alternate proposals

ISSUE-146?

<trackbot> ISSUE-146 -- <video> should allow muted as a content attribute -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/146

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-146: should allow muted as a content attribute - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-147?

<trackbot> ISSUE-147 -- playbackrate: undefined behavior when the user agent can't play back at the requested rate -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/147

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-147: playbackrate: undefined behavior when the user agent cant play back at the requested rate - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ISSUE-148?

<trackbot> ISSUE-148 -- Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/148

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-148: Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: none of these have counter proposals yet - we have another week on these

New Calls this week

ISSUE-119?

<trackbot> ISSUE-119 -- Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/119

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-119: Certain relationships take on a special meaning when repeated; other solutions may be cleaner - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: call for consensus due mar 7
 ... see no objections yet

New Surveys this week

ISSUE-126?

<trackbot> ISSUE-126 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/126

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-126: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to backslashes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: survey is to be complete by mar 10
 ... by request we extended ISSUE-125 survey to have the same date

ISSUE-125?

<trackbot> ISSUE-125 -- Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/125

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-125: Requirement to break RFC 2616 compliance with respect to single quotes not needed for legacy content - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

Decisions this week

ISSUE-118?

<trackbot> ISSUE-118 -- Specification breaks semantics of existing link relations "index" and "first" -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/118

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-118: Specification breaks semantics of existing link relations "index" and "first" - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: decision was posted and the changes have been made

ISSUE-129?

<trackbot> ISSUE-129 -- replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/129

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: decision has been posted, ian asked for some clarifications and steven kindly provided those clarifications

Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force

krisk: we met as planned on 22nd
 ... meet again this tuesday
 ... group has consensus to update some of the google audio/video tests that they had submitted but hadn't reported back on
 ... update is just to add a third parameter to addEventListener
 ... simon from opera gave some good feedback on those tests, i gave feedback as well
 ... set a date of mar 22 to have those all approved pending the needed fixes
 ... other than that, plh and other folks at w3c updated the wiki - thanks for that
 ... that's it about now
 ... lots of good participation in feb and mar off to a good start as well

rubys: questions or comments?

Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/2011/03/03-html-a11y-minutes.html

mike: janina is away so i'll give the summary this week

<pimpbot> Title: HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference -- 03 Mar 2011 (at www.w3.org)

mike: not much to report but i'll put in the minutes
 ... we had paul on the call to answer questions about reopening of issue-30

issue-30?

<trackbot> ISSUE-30 -- Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/30

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-30: Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

scribe: paul clarified some queries - it is reopened but comments will be processed in may after LC
 ... sam already mentioned issue-129
 ... as far as TF is concerned there is nothing we need to do on either of these before LC
 ... the thing with some urgency is canvas
 ... but this is blocked on getting some time from implementers to give feedback
 ... rich is aware that we won't be able to get much done before mar 22
 ... so some of these dicusssions will need to take place in LC
 ... we're planning a f2f after CSUN in san diego
 ... focus is to get the media discussions moved along
 ... silvia and eric and others will be there
 ... nothing else that the WG is waiting for that the TF hasn't yet reported on

rubys: any questions for mike?

Other Business

ISSUE-30?

<trackbot> ISSUE-30 -- Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/30

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-30: Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: as mentioned this was reopened and formal objection has been removed

<mark> Mark just called in

rubys: bug 11984 - chairs asked for revert which was done promptly

<pimpbot> 11http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11984 contributor, P3, REOPENED, 13Simplify <video> for implementors and authors by ignoring the Content-Type HTTP header

rubys: still discussing
 ... we also provided an extension for issue 145
 ... the new date is now mar 22

ISSUE-145?

<trackbot> ISSUE-145 -- use of "codecs" parameter -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/145

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-145: use of "codecs" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

rubys: is there any other business people would like to bring up?
 ... none

Scribe for next meeting

paul: i believe i'm chairing next week

rubys: if we don't have any volunteers i will volunteer to scribe

Adjournment

rubys: thanks everybody

<paulc> Thank you, Sam.

Summary of Action Items
 [End of minutes]

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-wg-announce-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-wg-announce-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Sam Ruby
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:40 AM
To: HTML WG Announce
Subject: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-03: Issues, Decisions, Task Force Reports, and Other Business

The HTML Working Group will have its usual weekly teleconference on
2011-03-03 for up to 60 minutes from 17:00Z to 18:00Z.

http://timeanddate.com/s/1z9f

Tokyo 02:00+1, Amsterdam/Oslo 18:00, London/Dublin 17:00,
New Jersey/York 12 noon, Kansas City 11:00, Seattle/San Francisco 09:00.

Chair of the meeting: Sam Ruby
Scribe: Adrian Bateman

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. ACTION items due by Thursday, March 3

None

2. New Issues This Week:

None

3. Items Closed Last Week

a) ISSUE-157: image-map-spec, Change Proposals closed Feb 23
    Issue closed without prejudice:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0398.html

b) ISSUE-158: object-content-model, Change Proposals closed Feb 23
    Issue closed without prejudice:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0400.html

c) ISSUE-160: menuless-commands, Change Proposals closed Feb 23
    Issue closed without prejudice:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0401.html

d) ISSUE-161: accessibility-api-mapping, Change Proposals closed Feb 23
    Change proposal received, call for Alternate or Counter-Proposals:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0411.html

e) ISSUE-144: conforming-u, Call for Revisions closed Feb 24
    Change proposal revised, call for Alternate or Counter-Proposals:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0421.html

f) ISSUE-124: rel-limits, Straw Poll for Objections closed Feb 28
    http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10412

g) ISSUE-130: table-layout, Straw Poll for Objections closed Feb 28
    http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10963

4. Items Closing This Week

a) ISSUE-9: video-accessibility, Responses to Consensus call due
    Mar 3
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0410.html

b) ISSUE-120: rdfa-prefixes, Alternate or Counter Proposals due Mar 3
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0086.html

c) ISSUE-139: ack-microdata, Alternate or Counter Proposals due Mar 3
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0087.html

d) ISSUE-140: conformance-terminology, Alternate or Counter Proposals
    due Mar 3
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0088.html

e) ISSUE-142: poster-alt, Alternate or Counter Proposals due Mar 3
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0090.html

5. Items Closing Next Week

a) ISSUE-135: link-canvas-spec, Alternate or Counter Proposals due
    Mar 10
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0195.html

b) ISSUE-146: video-content-muted, Alternate or Counter Proposals due
    Mar 10
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0196.html

c) ISSUE-147: playbackrate-undefined, Alternate or Counter Proposals due
    Mar 10
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0197.html

d) ISSUE-148: charset-detect, Alternate or Counter Proposals due Mar 10
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0198.html

6. New Calls this week

a) ISSUE-119: table-border, Call for Consensus due Mar 7th
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0487.html

7. New Surveys this week

b) ISSUE-126: charset-vs-backslashes, Straw Poll for Objections due
    Mar 10
    http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-126-objection-poll/

c) ISSUE-125: charset-vs-quotes, Straw Poll for Objections due Mar 10
    http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-125-objection-poll/

    Note: this is a reopening/extension of a previous poll on this issue:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0046.html

8. Decisions this week

a) ISSUE-118: broken-link-types
 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/att-0481/issue-118-decision.html
    http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=5923&to=5924

b) ISSUE-129: aria-mapping
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0005.html

9. Task Force Reports

a) Testing Task Force

b) Accessibility Task Force

10. Other Business

a) ISSUE-30 reopened; Formal Objection withdrawn
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0037.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Mar/0005.html

b) Bug 11984 - Simplify <video> for implementors and authors by ignoring
    the Content-Type - Reverted

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0002.html
    http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=5920&to=5921

    Extension given to alternate proposals for issue 145:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Feb/0484.html

11. Scribe for next meeting

12. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge
+1.617.761.6200, +33.4.26.46.79.03, +44.203.318.0479
code: HTML (4865)
Supplementary IRC chat (logged)
#html-wg on irc.w3.org port 6665 or port 80
Received on Thursday, 3 March 2011 17:25:57 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 9 May 2012 00:17:23 GMT