Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:10:58 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org, public-pfwg-comments-request@w3.org, wai-liaison@w3.org

I don't see how we can fully state how we work with HTML 5 as it is not
done. We should be able to do this in a future version.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Ian Hickson
             public-pfwg-comme         Al Gilman
             nts-request@w3.or         <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
             g                                                          cc
                                       HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>,
             07/23/08 03:52 PM         public-pfwg-comments@w3.org

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Al Gilman wrote:
> I see by your Tracker that you have an ISSUE-35 on "aria processing."

There are three issues blocking the adoption of ARIA proposals in HTML5:

 1. ARIA isn't being developed in the open. It is unlikely that we would
    adopt wholesale anything that wasn't developed in a completely open
    manner, with open public participation and a completely public
    feedback loop. I mentioned this in:

 2. ARIA specifications lack clear normative conformance criteria. I gave
    a bunch of examples of this in:

 3. ARIA doesn't define how ARIA works in conjunction with existing
    features in HTML4, HTML5, and other specs. For example, if the HTML5
    "required" attribute indicates that a form control is required when
    the ARIA required attributes indicates that it is not. This was the
    second problem listed in:

    ...and was also mentioned in this e-mail which was cc'ed to you:

Unless and until these three issues are addressed, I don't see any way in
which the ARIA proposals can be adopted in HTML5.

(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)

(image/gif attachment: pic16688.gif)

(image/gif attachment: ecblank.gif)