Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:52:01 +0000 (UTC)
To: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Al Gilman wrote:

> I see by your Tracker that you have an ISSUE-35 on "aria processing."

There are three issues blocking the adoption of ARIA proposals in HTML5:

 1. ARIA isn't being developed in the open. It is unlikely that we would
    adopt wholesale anything that wasn't developed in a completely open
    manner, with open public participation and a completely public
    feedback loop. I mentioned this in:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2008AprJun/0004.html

 2. ARIA specifications lack clear normative conformance criteria. I gave
    a bunch of examples of this in:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2008JanMar/0102.html

 3. ARIA doesn't define how ARIA works in conjunction with existing
    features in HTML4, HTML5, and other specs. For example, if the HTML5
    "required" attribute indicates that a form control is required when
    the ARIA required attributes indicates that it is not. This was the
    second problem listed in:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2008JanMar/0102.html
    ...and was also mentioned in this e-mail which was cc'ed to you:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0342.html

Unless and until these three issues are addressed, I don't see any way in
which the ARIA proposals can be adopted in HTML5.

Cheers,