On ISSUE-41: Decentralized extensibility

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:06:18 -0700
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

I just realized I'd never sent my opinion about extensibility in HTML.

In short, I think extensibility is a very good idea, with some parameters around it.  Particularly as I look at the challenges of sanely incorporating vocabularies such as SVG and MathML, and then what we would need to do when the next vocabulary comes along, it would seem to be a necessity (or we're just encouraging people to roll their own).  I think it's a poor language that doesn't think about its own extensibility, particularly when its own vocabulary already approaches "prohibitively large".

-Chris