Re: On ISSUE-41: Decentralized extensibility

From: Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:31:49 +0200
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:

> In short, I think extensibility is a very good idea, with some parameters around it.  Particularly as I look at the challenges of sanely incorporating vocabularies such as SVG and MathML, and then what we would need to do when the next vocabulary comes along, it would seem to be a necessity (or we're just encouraging people to roll their own).  I think it's a poor language that doesn't think about its own extensibility, particularly when its own vocabulary already approaches "prohibitively large".

Are you thinking about domain specific vocabularies as well? I asked
about the status of RDFa in HTML5 almost a year ago [1]. I believe
RDFa would be a great way to enable custom vocabularies in HTML5.
There is an increasing number of tools in a variety of languages that
already work with RDFa as well as related technologies to create
vocabularies in a structured way.

[1]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Sep/0123.html

Regards,

Peter