Re: Why XHTML 5 is a bad name...

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:46:28 +0200
To: Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer <sebastian@dreamlab.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer wrote:

> ... because it violates the principle
> of cognitive dissonance. Things that
> are different should be named different.
> XHTML 2 and XHTML 5 are two totally
> different animals, whilst the outside
> impression would be that XHTML 5
> is the successor of XHTML 2, which
> isn't the case since its a fork.
>
> Use case: Common Sense.
>
> Will result in: Even More Confusion.
>
> Suggestion: Rename XHTML 5 into
> something different.

It'll never be more confusing than "XSL Transformations (XSLT), a
language for transforming XML documents into other XML documents, part
of XSL, which is a stylesheet language for XML, and using an external
selection mechanism called XPath".

Let me add one thing : HTML and XHTML 1 are about the Web, the one we
all browse today, the one my dad sees. Not XHTML 2. So if a spec should
change its name, it's probably not this WG's.

I have no problem at all with XHTML 5.

</Daniel>