Re: mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:59:20 -0500
To: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 20:39 +0100, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2007, at 19:42, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > I'm getting mixed signals. The tasks survey
> > shows 42 people interested in tutorial development,
> > but I'm struggling to get any tangible progress in that
> > direction.
> I feel there's little point in starting until after the spec has been
> reviewed, which is why I've not done anything yet.

Little point? I don't see it that way.

Writing end-user documentation is often
a good way to find design problems. If a design is hard to explain,
maybe it's broken or at least merits closer scrutiny.

In my experience, it's best not to separate do design, testing, and
documentation; better to iterate concurrently.

> > And now when I look at the volunteers to review sections
> > of the HTML 5 spec, there's noticeable lack of reviewers
> > for the "Writing HTML documents" documents section.
> Maybe this shows people feel this shouldn't be in the spec, even
> informatively (but that should really be another thread)?

The WG has decided[9May] that the text merits review. If noone
proposes to remove it, I suppose the editor will leave it in.
Moreover, a proposal to remove that section would be much more
welcome from someone who has read it in some detail than from someone
who has not.

Some might prefer to read what's there. Some might prefer to
write something new instead. Some prefer a mix of both,
I suppose.

You can update your response to the task survey at any time.

If you checked the "tutorial development, quick
reference, course materials, ..." task, please give
some thought to what you meant by that and either
or elaborate in a survey comment or send us mail or uncheck
that task or start reviewing something or start writing something.