Re: mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 20:39 +0100, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2007, at 19:42, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > I'm getting mixed signals. The tasks survey
> > shows 42 people interested in tutorial development,
> > but I'm struggling to get any tangible progress in that
> > direction.
>
> I feel there's little point in starting until after the spec has been
> reviewed, which is why I've not done anything yet.

Little point? I don't see it that way.

Writing end-user documentation is often
a good way to find design problems. If a design is hard to explain,
maybe it's broken or at least merits closer scrutiny.

In my experience, it's best not to separate do design, testing, and
documentation; better to iterate concurrently.

> > And now when I look at the volunteers to review sections
> > of the HTML 5 spec, there's noticeable lack of reviewers
> > for the "Writing HTML documents" documents section.
>
> Maybe this shows people feel this shouldn't be in the spec, even
> informatively (but that should really be another thread)?

The WG has decided[9May] that the text merits review. If noone
proposes to remove it, I suppose the editor will leave it in.
Moreover, a proposal to remove that section would be much more
welcome from someone who has read it in some detail than from someone
who has not.

[9May]
http://www.w3.org/2002/02/mid/46423D1F.5060500@w3.org;list=public-html

Some might prefer to read what's there. Some might prefer to
write something new instead. Some prefer a mix of both,
I suppose.

You can update your response to the task survey at any time.
  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/tasks83/

If you checked the "tutorial development, quick
reference, course materials, ..." task, please give
some thought to what you meant by that and either
or elaborate in a survey comment or send us mail or uncheck
that task or start reviewing something or start writing something.