Re: Support Existing Content (was: Proposed Design Principles review)

At 04:49 PM 4/30/2007 +0100, Gareth Hay wrote:
>Isn't the whole idea of the, so-called HTML5, that the page will
>render according to the specification in all browsers?

That is not a possibility unless I am missing something.

Browsers -- by which I assume that you mean that class of browser
which is found on computer desktops -- are not all there is.

There are also aural and tactile browsers. Not to mention wet-ware browsers.

I can read HTML. I can parse it. I can understand most of what is intended by
non-interactive HTML pages. I am able to treat HTML as if it is a continuum
from HTML 2.0 to what I may receive over HTTP at any moment. Is the HTML 5
spec intended to leave all non-desktop browsers in the dark?

So, I may be alone -- consider this a cry in the dark -- but I still don't
think
that the browser should define HTML. That was the POV that was pomulgated
by Mosaic and Netscape developers back in 1994. I didn't buy it then and I
don't buy it now. HTML is more than what the browser guys say it is.

Regards,

Murray