Re: missing principle

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:44:27 +0200, Mike Schinkel
> <w3c-lists@mikeschinkel.com> wrote:
>> Smylers wrote:
>>> <small> isn't entirely presentational, in that it _can_ be used to
>>> indicate 'small print' or something of lesser importance; sort-of an
>>> opposite of <em>.
>>
>> True, but the important point is that a UA can never be sure why the
>> author used it so it can't be trusted as a semantic element.
>
> That argument goes for *any* element.

Actually, it is not true for any element.  Some elements, such as <em>
are almost never used except when the user wants to emphasize.  <small>
could be used to indicate "fine print" or it could be used to just
because (like for copyright, or for links meant to give search engines a
pathway to other pages), and there isn't much to indicate which is by
far more likely (I'd argue neither is significantly more likely than the
other.)

> So I'm not sure it should be considered much.
Not sure what should be considered much?  The value of semantic markup
since not 100% of content markup can be trusted for semantics?

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/