Re: How to refer to place of document, which is not marked by author!?

On Apr 27, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2007, at 08:24, Dmitry Turin wrote:
>>
>>> Let's imagine an html-element without attributes "id" and "name"
>>> (it's usual situation).
>>> And we need to refer to it in attribute "href".
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/
>>
> How does XPointer work for tag soup?

I imagine XPointer would work on the DOM, so it doesn't matter how
the document was initially parsed.

(Side note: when people here say "tag soup" do they mean "non-
conforming HTML" or "any HTML"? I can't really tell from general
usage of the term. I always assumed it specifically meant non-
conforming or otherwise "bad" markup, but people seem to use it as a
dismissive way to refer to anything in HTML syntax.)

>   And is what use is it (in the HTMLWG context) if neither IE7 nor
> FF2 see fit to implement it?
> Shouldn't it be better to look at something that would become part
> of the HTML spec?

I'd guess if browsers have not implemented it, it's because they have
not seen significant demand for anything but id (or anchor name)
fragment addressing, not because they dislike the syntax details. So
I don't think designing a second technology to do the same thing
would be helpful.

Regards,
Maciej