Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

On Apr 26, 2007, at 22:33, Dailey, David P. wrote:

> Let me see if the following statements are accurate. (I am certain
> that several folks weill tell me if they aren't)
>
> a) the WHATWG has a forms doc

Yes. Not only is there a doc, there is a shipping native
implementation as well (Opera 9).

> b) the HTML WG has a charter says "new HTML forms and the new
> XForms Transitional [should] have architectural consistency"

I think that was a weird thing to put in the charter considering the
status of XForms Transitional. But yeah, that's what the charter says.

> c) W3C has XForms, and the newer XForms2 (under development) as
> well as XFormsTransitional (http://www.w3.org/2007/03/XForms-
> Transitional/) which is a way for HTML folks to use XForms without
> namespaces.

This is not accurate. XForms and XForms Transitional are totally
different. XForms is a complex form spec for XML-based host languages
only. XForms Transitional is a relatively rough draft for extensions
to HTML forms. The main commonality between XForms and XForms
Transitional is the name and the abstract idea that there are
declarative constraints. However, XForms Transitional is not XForms
proper without namespaces.

> d) XForms are meant to be used in markups other than just HTML

XForms is meant to be used only in XML-based host languages--not in
HTML at all.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi