Re: Fwd: Re[2]: New html-element: table3

Dmitry Turin wrote:
> Good day, Jonas.
>
>> it adds a lot of complexity to implementations
>
> This is first and main reason of doubts.
>
>> too specific situation
>> i would like to see those problems solved in order to be useful for a larger number of people.
>
> Look at relational data through browser as at multi-dimensional data
> is more often, then much html-tags, which already exist.

Why can't you reformat the data on the server so that it fits into a
normal table?

> Solution of many problems was inaccessible an age.
> People got accustomed to that - subconscioun got accustomed also.
> People are learned to not want it, that is impossible.
> This is second reason.

Not really following what you are saying here. Displaying data in a
table is currently very possible with HTML. You just have to format the
data row-by-row.

Are you asking for the ability to format column-by-column instead? That
I could understand the need for. We actually support this in XUL.

Or do you need to provide the data in completely random order? If so,
why? This seems very hard rendering-wise to implement.

>> using scripts and technologies like XMLHttpRequest
>
> P.S.
> I wrote Thomas Broyer recently,
> that existing manners and
> easy and understandable desired manners are two different things.
>
>> or <iframe>s

You can use <iframe>s as a way to load data, just like XMLHttpRequest.
You would still need to use script to process that data and put it in a
table though.

I understand that using scripts is not an ideal solution. But we can't
have simple solutions for every edge-case out there. It's the common
ones we should cater for. Not saying that your use case isn't a good
one, I'm still trying to understand it.

Best Regards,
Jonas Sicking