Re: Separation of versioning concerns

On Wed, April 25, 2007 4:45 am, Sam Ruby wrote:
> This group needs a way to say that this
> particular representation of this particular page was produced
> specifically for IE8.0 (or whatever) and may not render as intended by
> browsers that do not implement a rendering mode that is compatible with
> that particular version of that particular browser. [...]
>
> As such, this could be implemented as an HTTP header; perhaps with a
> fall-back syntax employing the existing HTML <meta> tag.

This is essentially a reformulated "bugmode" proposal, which I strongly
favor.  The HTTP header/<meta> tag combination is also in line with what I
have been considering lately.

As such, if your website renders poorly in IE 9.0, you can simply modify
the server configuration to pass:

Or, in <meta> tag form:

And if you depend heavily on bugs from more than one browser:

Alternative names for this HTTP Header:

* Bug-Compatibility
* Bug-Mode
* Bug-Rendering
* Html-Rendering
* Render-Mode
* Render-Like
* Render-As
* Compatible-With [1]

[1] I'm not fond of "Compatible-With". It implies that you should add as
many browsers to the list as possible.

Thoughts?

-Matt