Re: Separation of versioning concerns

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:19:12 -0700
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>

On Apr 25, 2007, at 4:45 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Definition:
>  "most" ::= greater than 67%
>
> Observations (best if used by: April 2007):
>  * most people use IE
>  * most pages look just fine in pretty much any modern browser

I have a caveat about this point. Yes, by your definition, more than
67% of pages look fine. However, it only takes a few pages looking
wrong in a particular browser to upset its users and make them
consider switching. Sometimes it only takes one high-profile site
failing catastrophically. So, we shouldn't be complacent about the
current level of web interoperability, nor cavalier about the costs
of an existing browser breaking compatibility.

I do agree with your main point that we should balance the needs of
interoperability on the public web with compatibility for browser-
specific internal sites.

Regards,
Maciej