Re: HTML version issue summary?

From: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:07:50 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

At 20:16 -0700 UTC, on 2007-04-24, David Hyatt wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Matthew Raymond wrote:

[IE.next]

> And if they ship with their own form
> of opt-in and don't honor your HTML5 doctype, so what?  Older
> browsers wouldn't honor it either, so you'd obviously have to be
> prepared to provide a useful rendering anyway.

I don't think that comparison flies. By definition an older browser is
stable, while future browsers are a moving target. Catering for a specific
older browser is something that 'needs' to be done once only, but catering
for moving targets is a continuous process (== continuous cost).

--
Sander Tekelenburg