Re: new form control

From: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: public-html@w3.org

On Tue, April 24, 2007 6:49 am, Rene Saarsoo wrote:
>> <input type=file id=uploader>
>
> But these special drag-and-drop areas seem strange. When talking
> about WYSIWYG editors, then scripting support for dragging and dropping
> would be more appropriate for implementing this functionality
> than adding new elements and/or attributes to HTML. Clearly
> not every user would implement a WYSIWYG editor on his website.

Drag-and-drop file uploading is not limited to WYSIWYG editors.  It would
be useful in a wide range of situations, although not as shown above.  A
special "stylable" input type could be used instead:

    <input type="dragdropfile" [...] />

Currently functionality like this requires Java, Flash, or something
similar.  You can't do it with cross-browser JavaScript.  There's no need
for that amount of difficulty.  A drag-and-drop file upload component
could have JavaScript hooks to report total bytes, bytes uploaded so far,
filename, etc.

> I don't really understand the need for builtin asyncronous
> submits.

I don't think it should be asynchronous, either (unless scripted to do
so). But the actual drag-and-drop control would be very useful for
low-skill users.

-Matt