Re: Nomination for Co-Editor: Dave Hyatt

Hi, Matthew-

Matthew Raymond wrote:

>    The point is that although people like Ian and Dave, through the
> formation of the WHATWG, are largely responsible for pressuring the W3C
> into forming this working group, they are now being excluded from
> positions in the group because their actions were politically
> inconvenient. (In fact, I think the word "inconvenient" was used in the
> Babylon 5 episode I referenced.)

I'm at a loss as to how you regard their being nominated (and most
likely appointed) as editors as being excluded from positions in this
group.  No one (not myself, and certainly not the chairs) suggested that
they *not* be made editors.  Just the opposite, the chairs seem ready to
appoint Ian as one of the editors.

I'm asking for an *additional* editor with a background and perspective
outside the WHATWG.  Don't you think that's a reasonable request?

To play devil's advocate... turn the question around and ask why people
who were not involved in the WHATWG are being excluded from positions in
this group because they don't follow some of the axioms of the WHATWG
(such as the rigid stance that HTML 5.0 must include everything from
previous versions of the language, and that no improvements that are not
backwards compatible can be made).  Have you considered that perspective?

In point of fact, since no decision has been made, nobody at all has
been excluded, and I don't think alarmist talk like that improves the
dialog.  We are all free to air our opinions here, right?  As Maciej
said, though, it's better if our opinions are backed up by substantive
arguments.

Regards-
-Doug