Re: Feature Strings

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Jeff Schiller wrote:

> I notice <video> says the same thing, though I think there is a slightly
> incorrect statement in [2].  Shouldn't
>
> "Content may be provided inside the video element so that older Web
> browsers, which do not support video, can display text to the user
> informing them of how to access the video contents. User agents should
> not show this fallback content to the user."
>
> be
>
> "Content may be provided inside the video element so that older Web
> browsers, which do not support video, can display text to the user
> informing them of how to access the video contents. User agents that
> support the <video> element should not show this fallback content to the
> user."

User agents must support the <video> element as part of supporting the
spec, so it makes no sense to have a requirement that is predicated on
them _not_ impementing the spec. (It's like having laws that only apply to
people who are going to break the law -- if they're ignoring one law,
there's no reason to believe they'll pay any attention to another.)

> I think the fallback content mechanism within WHATWG HTML5 makes
> perfect sense as long as older user agents would automatically display
> the fallback content (which I'm assuming that has already been
> verified given the overall philosphy of the WHATWG HTML5 document).
> Given that, I don't see <switch> as necessary.

What is <switch>? Do you mean the SVG element?