Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

2007/4/19, Sander van Lambalgen <w3c@have-skill.com>:
> Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo wrote:
> > Let's analyze the situation:
> > You've built a web page, it's rendered correctly and works properly in
> > all the current browsers.
> > IE.next is released with a new standards mode, there are some possibilities:
> >
> > 1.Your page did relied on a bug and it's fixed in the new IE.
> > 1.a If the opt-in is automatic for every new release then your page
> > now is broken and you must check and fix it.
> > 1.b If you must set the opt-in for the new standards mode then your
> > page will remain fine until you add the opt-in and fix the problems.
> >
> > 2. Your page didn't relied on any bug fixed in IE.next. No matter if
> > there's an opt-in or not, no matter if there's a new Standards mode or
> > not, everything works fine and everybody is happy.
>
> 3. Your page works fine, but IE.current doesn't support some parts of it
> yet / doesn't do things as well as it could. You accept that (as the
> page remains legible), and hope IE.next will be getting to the same
> level as all other browsers. Then IE.next is released, and indeed is as
> capable as all other browsers... but it still won't render your page as
> intended, and the only way to get it to do so is by adding some new
> attribute. (And worse, if this IE.next only added _some_ capabilities,
> then for IE.next.next you'll need to do it _again_.)

This case means that if you care for your page you will update it,
check that is fine and then wait for the a version again.

If you don't keep the page updated then it will work just as it did
before and if it's missing something in IE then people will move to
other browsers, so it's an incentive to MS to fix those problems ASAP
and try to improve the rendering of the existing pages and not only
those that opt-in to the new mode (that as I have stated should be
focused only in changes incompatible with the current rendering).