Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

On 19 Apr 2007, at 07:54, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2007, at 04:18, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> It would really help if you would actually do some research about
>> (or at least listen to) what authors actually want, instead of
>> being presumptuous.
>
> To find out what authors want (in the sense that is useful for
> designing a bug mode switch that has to work with the real author
> behavior in the common case), one should look at the reactions of
> authors to past stimuli (instances of browser changes, etc.)
> instead of believing what they say they want.

Agreed. Seeming the number of people complained at the bugfixes in
IE7, and blamed MS for them (which is unfair, as they were reliant on
bugs), it seems perfectly possible that a larger change would cause
this on a larger scale.

Lachlan, do you have any evidence from the past, from when there have
been such changes, of people being against having a switch to retain
the previous rendering?

- Geoffrey Sneddon