Re: quality of authoring tools' output (was Versioning and html[5])

The filter property is an extension that IE supports. Its
(potentially) useful for loading DirectX/ActiveX components that
provide visual effects.

Its frequently used to load png images that utilize the alpha channel
since IE6 doesn't support that by default.

I've not seen it used for much besides gradients and loading pngs in
the wild, though someone like Ian could provide more insight to how
prevalent its usage is.

ex:
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader
(src='image.png', sizingMethod='scale');

re:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/
filter.asp>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/