Re: Non-goal for HTML: Picture-perfect rendering

From: Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+w3c@pvv.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:07:03 +0200
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:26:19 +0200, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

> As I said in the past, even if done by this WG, I have the feeling that
> it would speed up the process to make it a small individual
> specification.
> As an example, Web API has been quite quick for XMLHttpRequest Object.
>
> # The XMLHttpRequest Object
>
> * first draft at W3C
>    W3C Working Draft 05 April 2006
> * Last Call
>    W3C Working Draft 27 February 2007

The XHR spec is also a "specify what is currently in use" spec, similar to
what a canvas spec would be. The 10 months to reach first LC contrasts
quite a bit with the earlier message about a canvas standard:

> And last but not least, do you think all of that could be done in 6
> months.
>* first WD in 4 weeks
> * Then CR in 8 weeks.

The required process might theoretically be possible in the time
suggested. However, I have suspect the interest will be high enough to
generate a legion of issues, discussion, change requests, etc etc. As
such, I believe the XHR time is more realistic, ticking in at close to a
year just for first LC to finish.

--
Magnus Kristiansen
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."