Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:32:44 +0000 (UTC)
To: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> > Putting forward a formal schema causes people to claim that things
> > that are not caught by the schema are allowed, even when this
> > contradicts other claims in the specification.
>
> I don't see this as a major problem. Most competent developers will be
> aware that this is only a partial check, especially if we warn about
> this in text and descriptions.

It is a huge problem, IMHO, because most developers aren't competent by
that definition. Also, I _want_ my tools to catch as many errors as
possible. Having the spec artificially limit what errors can be caught
seems like an unnecessary limitation. (And if we do have a spec schema,
and it doesn't catch everything, you know people will claim that
conformance checkers that catch mistakes the spec schema wouldn't flag are
buggy and are reporting bogus errors.