RE: Versioning and html[5]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Dave Raggett wrote:

> > See: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing
>
> Thanks for the pointer. As far as I could tell, you are indeed
> suggesting tracking which form the fields belong to without the need for
> the form element to contain them. What wasn't clear was how the form
> element's start and end tags are manipulated.

Search for "form" (_with_ the quotes) in the parsing section -- it's fully
defined. To see what DOM you would get, try samples with the html5lib
parser [1]; note that, as you point out, the form fields do not
necessarily get associated with form elements in their ancestor chain. For
what it's worth, this strategy is based on implementation feedback from
Mozilla and Safari and is thought to be compatible with the majority of
Web content with illformed <form> elements.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/html5lib/

> BTW that document is *very* unwieldly and slows my browser to the speed
> of a snail. I recommend breaking large documents into smaller ones and
> taking advantage of the power of hypertext links.

As noted at the very top of the document, there already exists a multipage
version:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/