RE: Versioning and html[5]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> The HTML5 parser spec handles this case, even with a tree structure.
>>
>> Hmm, how exactly?
>
> See: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing
>
> Search for references to "form element pointer" in particular.

Thanks for the pointer. As far as I could tell, you are indeed
suggesting tracking which form the fields belong to without the need
for the form element to contain them. What wasn't clear was how the
form element's start and end tags are manipulated.

I gather that a nested form element is discarded, but it wasn't
clear how the end tag is dealt with when the form element isn't
welformed (e.g. starts in one table cell and ends in another). As
far as I  could tell, you suggest that the end tag is treated as a
parse error, but then what? I think it is a reasonable compromise to
treat the form element as appearing at the position of the form
start tag and for it to have empty content in such cases. Your spec
isn't very clear about this.

BTW that document is *very* unwieldly and slows my browser to the
speed of a snail. I recommend breaking large documents into smaller
ones and taking advantage of the power of hypertext links.

-- Dave