Re: A Compromise to the Versioning Debate

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Make <!DOCTYPE html> *always* trigger the latest standards mode,
> unless accompanied by an explicit switch.
> e.g.
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <!--[mode = IE8]-->
> It doesn't really matter what syntax you use for it.  Those of us who
> choose to use <!DOCTYPE html> and explicitly omit the switch are
> taking the risk upon ourselves that something may break with a future
> release.  Those who choose to use the switch are explicitly accepting
> the continued use of IE[n] bugs.
>
> Let us choose to be free from vendor-lock-in.

This sounds quite sane as a way to get past what seems brewing up to be
an insurmountable impasse. I hope things end up getting at least this
far. One absolutely *dependable* way to trigger standards mode *knowing*
that it really will trigger standards mode would be extremely helpful.
And the switch capability could be employed when absolutely necessary.

Thanks for chewing on this to this point.

Clair