Re: Versioning and html[5]

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:47:22 +0200
To: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Chris Wilson wrote:

> In short, I'm not that positive that HTML 5 will be the time we get
> it right for all time.  I would suggest that we use
>
> <!DOCTYPE html5>

This will not work with XML serialization, because name after !DOCTYPE
must match name of root element:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#vc-roottype

Moreover, as I already pointed out, this will break compatibility with XSLT:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0432.html

If there have to be !DOCTYPE to allow switching between quirks/standards
mode, then two forms should be allowed:

<!DOCTYPE html>

and more verbose

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "...some FPI...">

I share you idea about marking which version of HTML was used, but it is
better to use dedicated attribute for this, because !DOCTYPE is not
present in many data models for XML and thus version information will be
unavailable to application. Moreover !DOCTYPE is not embedable, so for
example you can't transfer XHTML inside SOAP message with !DOCTYPE
specified.

				Jirka

 OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO/JTC1/SC34 member
 Want to speak at XML Prague 2007 => http://xmlprague.cz/cfp.html