Re: Versioning and html[5]

Kornel Lesinski writes:

 > Many authors don't have slightest idea that there's something
wrong with
 > their code. This can be solved - make standard IE distribution
warn about
 > deprecated features and problems exposed by invalid code. [ ... ]

Hear hear! If errors can be flagged, so can warnings.

 > When a potentially important bug is planned to be axed in a future
version
 > of IE, you can display more prominent warning in an earlier
version. Then
 > nobody will get surprised when next version comes out and probably
most
 > websites will be fixed by then.

+1.

Surprises can be mitigated. I say frequent, pro-active education
(within the user agent, online and elsewhere) works wonders.

Meanwhile, in response to Boris Zbarsky who wrote:

 > Chris, my point was that things are not black and white here. It's
not
 > the case that any change you make would break a large number of
sites.
 > For example, if current IE behavior given a certain input is to
crash,
 > then it seems likely that you can change that aspect of IE behavior
 > without breaking sites.

Chris Wilson replied:

 > No one expects crashes.

Aye.

 > On the other hand, a bunch of people did
 > expect that we didn't implement child selectors in CSS. A bunch
 > of people did expect that we didn't understand how overflow is
 > supposed to work.

I never _expected_ either of those. Rather, I came to begrudgingly
_accept_ these and other anomalies as a necessary evil of user agent
co-existence, and only once it became clear there were no IE updates
in sight. That was a _very_ hard pill to swallow, let me tell you.

In fact ... it's interesting to note that the pill in question
largely (dare I say completely?) concerned CSS rendering issues, not
HTML.

--
Joe D'Andrea
www.joesapt.net