Re: Versioning and html[5]

On Apr 13, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> Then again, I would love if Microsoft could change the default
>>> type for
>>> a <button> to submit instead of button.
>>
>> They can!  That's not likely to significantly break the web, it's
>> likely
>> to fix a few pages.
>
> You just made me laugh out loud.  I'm sorry, I don't mean to be
> derisive.  That's just not our experience in shipping a web browser
> to half a billion users.

I know of at least one intranet page that doesn't work in IE because
it defaults the <button> type to button instead of submit. So
Lachlan's point that some pages could be fixed could well be true -
but I don't know how this compares to number of pages that could be
broken.

Can you point out specific cites that would break if IE changed this?
Concrete data would be more useful to others than just pointing out
you have lots of users. Having lots of users is no guarantee of being
right and no substitute for making a case.

Regards,
Maciej