Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

On Apr 11, 2007, at 16:09, Laurens Holst wrote:

> What I wonder about is, you have quite specific opinions on certain
> things. Not that I do not value these opinions, however when the
> spec editor is argueing against you in a certain discussion, even
> pointing to the current working draft, with details of his
> viewpoint already specified although it is supposedly still under
> discussion, it can be rather discouraging.

In practice, Hixie's decisions tend to be backed up by better
research than alternatives suggested by others, which may make it
seem that Hixie's proposals are more likely to stand. But that isn't
because Hixie made them but because the real research supported them.

> Even though theoretically you would make changes if a lot of people
> agree on it, even if you might not agree with it entirely yourself

It isn't about counting the "+1"s (i.e. not about "a lot of people
agree"). It is about determining which suggestion has the most merit.

> Do you think the spec editor should take a more ‘wait and see’
> approach like say, the chairs seem to do?

Personally, I very much like Hixie not waiting and seeing before the
first draft of a given feature goes in the spec.

(And, yes, there are straw features in the Web Apps 1.0 draft that
I'd like to see taken out and changed in due course. Still, I think
this WG should adopt WHATWG HTML5 wholesale as a *starting point*.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi