Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:30:11 -0400, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>> As Maciej said:
>>> There is a summary of changes from HTML4 here: http://
>>> wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Changes_from_HTML4
>
> I think having a change list is good. There's a limit to how much
> detail is useful. The way HTML4 is written, it's often hard to tell
> what the conformance requirements are, so documenting every clearly
> stated conformance requirement that used to be an informative
> statement, undefined or unstated would probably be too much detail.
>
> I'm hoping volunteers other than the spec editor can continue to
> improve and miantain the description of changes.

Yes. Whatever the approach, having the changes documented is valuable to the large number of people who are familiar with the HTML 4 spec. And in my experience, having a seperate person maintain the changes is a good test of how clear the developing spec is, although you need to know the HTML 4 spec well to do the job, and the change list needs to be reviewed by others familiar with both specs to check it is accurate. This is a fundamental part of being on the working group...

cheers

chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com