Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:16:21 +0200
To: "Henrik Dvergsdal" <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:38:03 +0200, Henrik Dvergsdal
<henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no> wrote:
> If we are to make a jump like this, I think it we should have a really
> strict delta document. One that we can trust contains all significant
> aspects of differences between the HTML4 and HTML5 specs at all times.
> This should not be just a wiki. I think the editor should be responsible
> for keeping it up to date as the proposal evolves.

How is it useful to know the changes from HTML4? I doubt much WG members
have actually read HTML4 completely. The high-level changes for people
familiar with HTML4 are mentioned here (not exhaustive enough, see talk

In due course, however, I would expect that everyone knows the document
the group will be working on. At least the parts he/she is interested in.
And will follow the changes made to the document through some tracker:

The idea of the HTML5 proposal is to effectively replace HTML4, XHTML1 and
DOM2HTML with something (substantially) better. Not to update them.

Anne van Kesteren