Re: beforeprint event

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:23:07 +0200, Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
> wrote:
>> That said, I still agree with HÃ¥kon. CSS can handle most real-world
>> cases today, and it will get even better with future versions. So the
>> beforeprint event sounds like it will become obsolete (if that's not
>> already the case), thus it shouldn't be standardized.
>
> Implementing events like that should be pretty trivial and allows
> authors to innovate themselves without having to wait for browser
> vendors to implement everything they might ever want in CSS.

Yeah, but it are only edge cases where you would need more complex CSS
than we have today. And those cases will fade away; it's not like
"everything they might ever want in CSS" is an infinite list.

Besides, are beforeprint and afterprint even supported by browsers
besides IE?

> The use cases might be catered for by something like XBL

And XSLT.

> , but I don't seen anything inherently harmful in supporting events
> that indicate the transition between presentation media.

Maybe a "mediachange" event, but "beforeprint" and "afterprint" sound
like a hack. It's not even clear to me how they work. Is there a copy of
the document or would scripted transformations affect the real page as
well as the print preview? The former seems unlikely (otherwise, why do
we need "afterprint"?) and latter would be a design flaw.

--Dao