Re: Version information

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:04:01 +0200
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:37:55 +0200, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> But I think it should be one of the roles of this group to document the
>> behavior that is needed to be able to browse the Web, which helps new
>> browsers enter the market.  That means specifying things to the level
>> of detail that pages depend on, and it also means compromising on the
>> details where existing implementations disagree.
>
> We are not specifying HTML 4.01 here.

We're not? I think a large part of what this group should do is fixing
HTML4. (A lot of this is already done by the HTML5 proposal.)

Also, I don't think that introducing versioning for HTML at this point
would be a good idea. It makes:

* authoring more complex;
* testing more complex;
* developing new user agents more complex
* maintaining existing user agents more complex;
* specifications more complex.

Another problem is that user agents incrementally evolve and not implement
a complete specification perfectly in one go. They'll have bugs in their
initial implementation of features, et cetera.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>