Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

From: Charles Hinshaw <CHinshaw@A2SO4.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:18:38 -0400
To: <public-html@w3.org>
Discussion of BLOCKQUOTE got me thinking about quotes and the cite attribute. If the cite attribute were available for all elements, rather than:

Something like:

Could be used. It wouldn't be the exact same thing (perhaps a div wrapping the paragraphs with the cite would be), but it would indicate what the author was trying to express: that these are two paragraphs that owe their origin to another author.

Cite could be useful on other elements as well:

<image src="/example.jpg" cite="http://www.example.com" alt="Example Image" />

Would indicate that the image owes its origin elsewhere.

This separates presentation of a quote from the structure of a quote -- but what is the structure of a quote? A paragraph doesn't belong to a quote -- a quoted paragraph is a quote.

Something like this:

I can't help but think of the benefit of a quoted paragraph in another language containing a cite and a lang attribute, but still being what it is -- a paragraph.