Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 01:49:31 +0200, Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Because stuff can be quoted inline and across blocks. If QUOTE is
>> inline, you can't wrap block-level content without violating the spec.
>
> Why do you have to constrain it?

Because it has to be rendered somehow.

>> CSS doesn't help, as it's irrelevant to the construction of the DOM tree.

style="display:block"><p></span> is invalid.

>> I guess it would be possible to define QUOTE as flexible as DEL and
>> INS, but styling that wouldn't be trivial.
>
> Yes it would. Inline quote:

>     euismod. <quote>Integer condimentum, urna at feugiat mollis, nisl est
>     condimentum ante, eu elementum sapien turpis at risus.</quote>
>
>   p > quote { backgorund-color: #ccc; }

That's only one of many possible scenarios.

> Two-paragraph quote:
>
>   <quote>
>       Nulla augue sapien, venenatis sed, elementum euismod, sodales in,
>       felis. Nam at magna. Quisque quis est vitae lectus accumsan
>       sagittis.</p>
>       Suspendisse potenti. Proin hendrerit lobortis nibh. Cras accumsan
>       libero et orci. Pellentesque tincidunt. Ut condimentum felis et
>       neque. Aliquam accumsan magna et sapien.</p>
>   </quote>
>
>   quote > p { display: block; margin: 1em; }

What's the display:block for? Also, margin should be applied to <quote>.

>> I was under the impression that HTML must be presentable with the
>> default stylesheet. The only solution that comes to my mind is to
>> introduce new CSS pseudo-classes, e.g. :block-level and :inline.
>
> Hm, what would trigger those modes of pseudo classes?

The content, as defined in HTML 4.01: "[...] they may serve as either
block-level or inline elements (but not both). They may contain one or
more words within a paragraph or contain one or more block-level
elements such as paragraphs, lists and tables."

--Dao