Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

From: Robert Brodrecht <w3c@robertdot.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:05:22 -0500 (CDT)
To: <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Cc: <dao@design-noir.de>, <public-html@w3.org>

Asbjørn Ulsberg said:

> On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 01:49:31 +0200, Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Because stuff can be quoted inline and across blocks. If QUOTE is
>> inline, you can't wrap block-level content without violating the spec.
>
> Why do you have to constrain it?

I don't think *he* is constraining it.  The spec, traditionally, is.  I
can think of no element that is both structurally inline and structurally
block at the same time (ignoring TD/TH, which is a weird case and not the
same as the suggested <quote>-as-block-and-inline examples).  There is no
precedent for it.

elements cannot contain structural block level elements).
inline.  Presumably, <quote> would have to be the same way (either block
or text/inline) unless that tag is radically different from every other
tag that exists.  Either it will cause the quote to be "on it's own line"
or it will be inline with the text that surrounds it.  I don't see how it
can be both.

--
Robert <http://robertdot.org>