Microsoft has now joined the HTML Working Group

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:15:50 -0700
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Hello, all.  Yes, at long last, your co-chair has managed to join the working group.  I do apologize again for the delay.  I won't even detail here the long comedy of errors and issues with the process of joining - perhaps over a beer sometime.

I wanted to introduce myself for those of you I don't know.  I am currently the Platform Architect of Internet Explorer at Microsoft.  I began working on web browsers in 1993 when I co-authored the first Windows versions of NCSA Mosaic, the first mass-market WWW browser - this was also when I inflicting overlapping <B> and <I> tags on the world.  After leaving NCSA in 1994 and spending a year working on the web browser for SPRY, Inc., I joined Microsoft in 1995, and soon thereafter joined the Internet Explorer team as a developer shortly before we shipped IE 2.0.

In the course of my first six years on the IE team, I participated in many standards working groups, in particular helping develop standards for HTML, Cascading Style Sheets, the Document Object Model and XSL through the W3C working groups.  I was also responsible for developing the first implementations of CSS in Internet Explorer (IE 3.0 and 4.0).  Beginning in 2001, I spent a few years working on the Avalon project, but rejoined the IE team in 2004 to lead the IE Platform and Security team.  I changed my role to Platform Architect in autumn 2006.

In my free time, I take a lot of pictures (http://www.flickr.com/cwilso) and hike and snowshoe with my wife and two-year-old daughter, but my real passion is scuba diving in the chilly waters of Puget Sound as a PADI Assistant Instructor.  With any free money, I replace the cameras I've destroyed by taking them underwater for dive photography.  Occasionally I remember to share my thoughts on my blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/cwilso).

Again, happy to be here, sorry about the delay.

-Chris