Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

From: Jason A. Lefkowitz <jason@jasonlefkowitz.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:12:27 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
> How is a blockquote distinguished aurally and semantically in a way
> that can't be conveyed through visual and/or aural style sheets?
 From a semantic perspective, at least, it's distinguished in the sense
that it's a block of text that wasn't written and hence isn't "owned" by
the document's author, whereas <p>s, <ol>s etc. all encapsulate content
that was.  That's a non-presentational distinction (though you could use
presentational rules to communicate it to the reader, as many authors do
by styling <blockquote>).

-- Jason

--
Jason A. Lefkowitz
web: http://www.jasonlefkowitz.net

"A statesman... is a dead politician.
Lord knows, we need more statesmen." -- Bloom County