Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

From: Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 01:49:31 +0200
To: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:23:05 +0200, Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
> wrote:
>
>> We need both block-level and inline quotes.
>
> Why?

Because stuff can be quoted inline and across blocks. If QUOTE is
inline, you can't wrap block-level content without violating the spec.
CSS doesn't help, as it's irrelevant to the construction of the DOM tree.

I guess it would be possible to define QUOTE as flexible as DEL and INS,
but styling that wouldn't be trivial.

>> How do you want to enable both at the same time with only one element?
>
> They differ only in presentation. That presentational difference can
> more than well enough be catered for with CSS. 'display: block; margin:
> 1em' for instance.

I was under the impression that HTML must be presentable with the
default stylesheet. The only solution that comes to my mind is to
introduce new CSS pseudo-classes, e.g. :block-level and :inline. I
assume that sticking with BLOCKQUOTE as the trivial and
backwards-compatible alternative is generally preferred.