Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:47:18 +0200
To: "Gareth Hay" <gazhay@gmail.com>, "Murray Maloney" <murray@muzmo.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:30:47 +0200, Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com> wrote:
> So we can't improve on anything then, as we have to make sure a page
> written in 1994 still works in a modern browser.
> This backward compatibility argument just gets sillier by the minute.

The HTML5 proposal has made many enhancements to HTML and doesn't break
backwards compatibility. Not of all has been proven of course, but several
implemented parts of HTML5 have shown that it is possible to do this.

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>