RE: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

From: Tom White \(MMA\) <lists@midi.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:46:23 -0800
To: "'Chris Wilson'" <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>, "'Joseph Berkovitz'" <joe@noteflight.com>, "'Robin Berjon'" <robin@berjon.com>, <public-audio@w3.org>, "'Dom Hazael-Massieux'" <dom@w3.org>, <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
>>> Hmm.  In a brief browse around my OSX machine, it seems it doesn't
install a GM virtual MIDI device; when I try to play a .mid, I have to
download the Quicktime 7 player. <<<

Hmmm. Maybe the OSX GM Synth is part of Quicktime... and perhaps Quicktime
is typically installed on most Macs, or is automatically installed when
Garageband and/or iTunes is installed? I can check with Apple on that, but I
don't users typically need to consciously install the synth...

>>> I don't know if Windows installs a virtual device or not?  <<<

As far as I know, every installation of Windows since 1995 includes the
gm.dls sound file and exposes that as "Microsoft GS Synthesizer" through the
MIDI API.

- TW