Re: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

Definitely removing my Google hat here, and also please remember that I'm a
huge fan of MIDI, and for that matter GM.

The reason MIDI playback doesn't work this way is not a shortcoming in the
spec, it's just been insufficient demand placed on the browser vendors to
get them to implement it.  There is absolutely nothing preventing browsers
from implementing support for .MID files in <audio> (and wasn't anything
preventing them from using <object>, either - in fact, I think this works
on Windows machines).  IE would be a natural candidate to do this first,
since they ONLY ship on platforms that are known to have an installed GM
synth (as per Tom's mail).  Also unfortunately, most of the MIDI file sites
out there appear to be designed in the mid-'90s.

The best way to advocate for support for playing SMFs is to have a
rock-solid scenario, that isn't clearly addressable some other way, for
doing so, and taking it to the vendors.