RE: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

From: Tom White \(MMA\) <lists@midi.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:46:23 -0800
To: "'Joseph Berkovitz'" <joe@noteflight.com>, "'Chris Wilson'" <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>, "'Robin Berjon'" <robin@berjon.com>, <public-audio@w3.org>, "'Dom Hazael-Massieux'" <dom@w3.org>, <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
Joe said:

I just want to point out that most music scoring programs (including ours)
don't use GM, but include their own bespoke synth

I think many of them do "use GM", they just don't depend on the local "OS
Synth" for rendering. And that's because better host-based synths are
relatively easy to obtain (most often by license from an existing
developer), making it unnecessary to use the OS Synth... but the OS Synth is
still available to them, anyway.

Similarly, I think the OS Synth should be available for browsers, especially
since browser-based synths might not be so easy to obtain for a while, while
exposing the OS Synth should be no more work than exposing any other synth.

- TW